Tuesday, October 14, 2008

School Dayz

This is just a tiny blip of what I see everyday at school. HAHA- no I don't see kids with goblin lanterns- I just thought he was cute and I wanted him to start this blog off!

Anyway- the teachers all have their desks in one big room. We call it the teachers' room! The vice principal, secretary and school affairs teachers sit at the head of the room, and the principals office is next door. My desk is the one in the center of this picture- with the flower bag on the chair. This is Kusakabe Elementary, my Wed/Thurs. school.

As far as formalities at school, we don't call the principal by his last name, as we do other teachers. The principal of every school is called "Kochyo Sensei" which means "leader teacher." Other teachers are called by their last names and then "sensei." For example "Nezu Sensei" or "Kobayahsi Sensei" (these are teachers I teach with!). However, as the foreign teacher, my first name is difficult enough, so I am called "Ann Sensei." I hear that about a million times a day, kids exclaiming "Ann Sensei!! Hello!! Good Moning" (thats right- no "r" sound! SO cute!)

This video was taken at recess at my Yawata- my Friday school. The kids at this school are the most talented I have ever seen on these monkey bars! Although before I took these videos, I saw a couple girls fall on their heads! Take a look- its truly amazing.


This second video is better- or more extreme I would say!

Japanese children are very high-energy. The Japanese term for this is "genki." Even in the classroom some of them are loud and bouncing all over the place. In between each period students and teacher get a 5 minute break. Its a bathroom break basically, but its not unusual to see kids wrestling in the hallways, or running up and down them screaming and chasing each other. In fact that's expected. But after 5 minutes they have released their pent-up energy and are back in their seats ready to go again. Its an incredibly different system than in the US- but it seems to be working!
This month we have been hitting the Halloween lesson! So I get to talk about Jack-o-lanterns, kids in costumes, and trick-or-treating! Then we do a fun activity! These 5th graders are making pumpkin or goblin lanterns from paper. Its a simple project, but the kids are engrossed and spend lots of time on details!

The second graders make "halloween crowns" for their activity. They were thrilled to be able to color something, and then have it turned into a head piece!


Those are only a few of my many students. I love them, and they seem to like me too! I am really enjoying my job as an English teacher. The crazy part is that I don't to any grading. In fact- English is not graded at all, rather its considered an elective, or "fun class," like sewing or p.e. Interesting... because in jr. high and high school they will be graded, and they must start writing. In elementary we only do listening and speaking- no writing or sentence structure. If the 6th graders are speaking a sentence- I write it on the board and then say it- and they repeat after me until they have memorized what is sounds like. There isn't necessarily any comprehension!


School Building

Here are some photos of a basic Japanese elementary school, in this area at least.

There are sinks like this upstairs and downstairs, and yes that is soap in that little net. After lunch all teachers and students use these to brush their teeth! They also come in handy throughout the school day.

This giant metal support beam was just installed this summer, along with several others throughout the school. The elementary schools in this area all received new beams like this for extra support in case of an earthquake. I'm so glad we are up to "code!"


Everyone- students, teachers, and visitors, removes their outside shoes and dawns inside shoes upon entering the school. If you don't have indoor shoes- you get to borrow some slippers!


Every student has the exact same, slip-on, indoor tennis shoe, which is a great idea- no one is "richer or poorer." So they all put their shoes here, along with their umbrellas! Yes, Umbrellas are a must! It has rained at least once a week since I've been here! Crazy! Every school entrance looks like this- shoes and umbrellas galore!
That was a ton of info, but if you made it this far then you've completed the marathon blog!! YAY!!
Sionara!!

1 comment:

MOlly said...

Hey great post- i liked seeing your school I should do the same! Those girls were quite talented! I was so impressed! (side note- i am sitting here listening to the slurper at school- do you have one- a man who just stares and walks around then slurps his green tea?) well we have one at both schools and he is actually staring at me right now- like what are you doing???? anywho just though you should know! It is great! ok back to your post! Great idea! great pics it was like i was at your school! The kids are so cute! Ok love ya and see you later! (today is pay day!)