Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sioux City came to Japan!

...well, Miss Sioux didn't actually come to Japan, but a delegation of four people from Morningside College came, representing Sioux City as an entity.
President John Reinders, Mrs. Robin Reinders, Gene Ambroson, and Terry Curry made a memorable journey through the land of the rising sun. I'm sure they'll never forget their travels here. And I'm sure, they'll always remember their experience at Kusakabe Elementary School.
The foursome arrived on a blazing hot afternoon, wearing their suits and ties! At the entrance of the school, curious 2nd graders greeted them with popping eyes and wide grins. I don't think the kids had ever seen such big people! I was so proud of the students; they introduced themselves in English! YAY!
After touring the school and poking our noses into a few classes, we made our way to the 6th grade class, which I was to teach, and they observe. We started class with a surprise "American Dance," aka the "Cha Cha Slide!" Terry and Robin gladly joined us, which thrilled the students!
The "Cha Cha Slide" featuring Mr. Uehara's 6th grade class!
After gettin' our groove on (and sweating like mad) the kids settled down, but my heart was still racing. It's a big deal when your alma mater comes to observe what you've done with the education you've been given. Kind of like in the Bible, it says "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and to him who has been entrusted with much, much more will be required."(Luke 12:48) I felt the weight of that truth, but I must say I also felt love and grace just emanating from all four of my guests. They smiled and took interest, and took lots of pictures (Gene!).

Don't the kids look hot? But they really did a good job!


We are using the map on the board to practice giving directions, like "turn right, turn left, go straight, go back, stop."

I think one of the highlights, though, was after class. All the students wanted autographs from all the Americans! It was so great, they just swarmed around them, thrusting pens and notebooks in their faces, and saying "Sign! Sign!" I was even asked to "sign!"


As the group left the school for their next tour (they were booked solid!) they encouraged me so much, reminding me that what I'm doing is important. The way I treat my students, build relationships with them, encourage and teach them, is making an impact in their little lives. Sometimes I feel like English is the "side item" that most people don't care about. But actually the students have a great time in English, because we play games and sing songs. This exposure to the English language at an early age is preparing their eyes, ears, and minds to embrace this ever-increasingly international language. They absolutely WILL NEED to know English in the future, and I get to be a part of teaching them. Wow. My job is awesome!



President Reinders shaking hands with Principal Amemiya; a neat connection!

Thank you, Sioux Citians, for making the long journey overseas. Your encouragement to me personally, and your connections made with the Sister City relatonship are invaluable.

1 comment:

black-leopard said...

Annie、おげんきですか?
I am glad to hear that you have a great time, and you feel strongly your job is a great. I agree with you about learning English is a good from younger age. You did a good job. I am enjoying your video. Thank you.